Sunday, October 27, 2013

Introductions...

I like doing introductions… Today I got to introduce a concept at the Liberia Medical and Dental Association (LMDA) meeting: the concept of starting Family Medicine Residency training in Liberia.  

I’ve been having some discussions with those in authority over physician training, and they encouraged me to speak on this topic at the LMDA. I reviewed the exciting history of the discipline in Nigeria, where thousands of Family Medicine residents have been trained since the early 1980s; reflected on some of my own experiences over the last 18 years; and wrapped up by asking the question “Is it the right time for Family Medicine in Liberia?” 

There was some pretty enthusiastic support for the concept, as well as some lively questions and discussion about the logistics and details. I was joined at the meeting by our newest arrival, Dr. Kent Brantly, a Family Physician from the US serving here through the Samaritans’ Purse/World Medical Mission 2-year Post-Residency Program. He’ll also be a part of developing this vision. We are anxious to see what God is going to do! 

1 comment:

Steve said...

Exciting times!