Friday, July 27, 2007

What to post?

I'm sitting here, thinking I need to post something, just to let you know we are still here. We are. And rainy season has truly arrived. Larry and Sandi Dick are with us for a couple extra days because their flight was canceled due to heavy wind and rain for the last 24 hours. I expect you folks on the east coast of the USA should be looking for a tropical storm to form once this gets out over the ocean. Hopefully it won't become a hurricane. Rick says that if it does, it should be named Lauren for our friend whose beachside wedding got rained on yesterday - it was nice all afternoon until 4, and that was exactly when the wedding was due to start. It was a holiday - the Liberian "Independence" Day - see my blog from last year for more info on that.

The wonders of the internet never cease. Earlier this week, I discovered that our internet connection was good enough to listen to BBC's "Focus on Africa" online. Made me wonder - could I listen to US radio? In particular.....to hear the Red Sox games? It's been killing me to miss the great season they are having (62-40, best record in MLB). Turns out that yes, I can. Isn't that cool? Of course, it means I stay up too late listening to the games, especially if it's a good one. It's kind of weird to hear the RKO announcers and ads for Dunkin Donuts, d'Angelo's Sandwich Shop and Giant Glass (1-800-54GIANT), sitting here in Africa. But it's great not to miss the fun. I remember back in 1988 when we were here and one night I caught Johnny Most announcing a Celtics game on Armed Forces Radio- it was such a sweet moment to get a little bit of home. We're pretty spoiled now with email and internet access. I guess that means the Red Sox Nation extends even to West Africa.

Max is just with us for a couple more weeks- he'll go back August 12th and begin classes on the 16th. We're planning to send the other boys to the new American School, but they may not start till later in September because the building is being renovated. I warned them that we are going to start "school"- some Math and maybe writing - soon after Max leaves so they don't have too much down time. But they won't mind I think. We're running out of things to do in the rain.

So that's a quick note. Just a glimpse of everyday life here.

No comments: